What are risk factors for pelvic floor damage due to childbirth?

Vaginal delivery can lead to pelvic floor damage as the baby stretches the pelvic floor muscles and other tissues on its way through the birth canal, sometimes causing tearing or other damage. Research results show that a number of factors raise the risk of damage for women who deliver vaginally, including these:
  • older age of the mother
  • greater weight of the baby
  • higher number of vaginal births
  • longer second stage of labor
  • episiotomy (a surgical cut made to expand the vaginal opening during vaginal delivery)

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
Are vivid dreams common during pregnancy?
Many pregnant women (and especially postpartum women) report that their dreams become extremely vivi...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?
What Should I Avoid During Pregnancy?