What is postpartum hemorrhaging?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Post partum hemorrhage (PPH) is defined as blood loss of 500mL or more after a vaginal birth and 1000 mL or more after a cesarean birth.  Excessive blood loss in the first 24 hours following the birth is classified as an early PPH and beyond 24 hours it is a late PPH. 

The most common cause of early PPH is uterine atony or failure of the uterus to contract after the birth.  PPH due to uterine atony usually occurs in the first 4-6 hours after birth.  Some factors that increase the risk of uterine atony are: labor induction or augmentation, medication that result in muscle relaxation, chorioamnionitis, a large baby, multiple gestation or a full bladder.  A second cause of PPH in the first 24 hours is trauma to the genital tract, which is the uterus, cervix, vagina, or labia. Trauma to the genital tract can lead to disruption of the soft tissue and tearing of blood vessels

Late PPH is due to retained placental fragments that delays healing and leads to bleeding from the former placental site.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

What is the amniotic sac?
The amniotic sac is filled with fluid that is released when a baby is ready to be born. Watch this ...
If I'm pregnant and carrying low, will I have a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This is one of those myths that makes guessing the baby's gender fun but has no basis in fact. "Carr...
What can I do if I have constipation during pregnancy?
Many pregnant women complain of constipation. Signs of constipation include having hard, dry stools;...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits. When preparing for a baby, there’s so much to keep in m...