What is the centering pregnancy model?

Some doctors and certified nurse-midwives follow a model for group prenatal visits called Centering Pregnancy. At each prenatal visit, the provider facilitates learning and discussion among a group of pregnant women. In addition, the provider gives individualized private care to each woman at every meeting.

Centering pregnancy groups provide a dynamic atmosphere for learning and sharing that is impossible to create in a one-to-one encounter. Hearing other women share concerns which mirror their own helps the woman to normalize the whole experience of pregnancy.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth

ALL THE INFORMATION YOU NEED TO MAKE WISE DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR PREGNANCY AND THE BIRTH OF YOUR CHILD -- FROM THE EDITORS OF THE CLASSIC "BIBLE OF WOMEN'S HEALTH" Pregnancy and birth are as ordinary...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Should You Freeze Your Eggs? 6 Things to Know Before You Do
Someday, Bachelorette fan favorite Kaitlyn Bristowe wants to have a baby—but only when she's ready. The 31-year-old recently opened up about freezing ...
Are Raw-Food Diets Dangerous If You’re Pregnant?
Who hasn’t read about Loni Jane Anthony, the pregnant woman who adheres to a raw vegan diet? According to reports, the 26-year-old Australian follows ...
If I'm pregnant and carrying low, will I have a boy?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This is one of those myths that makes guessing the baby's gender fun but has no basis in fact. "Carr...
What do I do if I have leg pain after having a baby?
It could mean a change in blood pressure, as well as the formation of a blood clot in your leg. Your...