What are locking twins?

Locking or locked twins is a rare condition in which during birth a fetus in a breech (feet-first) position becomes locked at the chin with his twin fetus who is in a vertex (head-first) position. Locked twins occur in about 1 in every 1,000 twin births and one in every 90,000 births overall. Locked twins can be identified on an ultrasound examination at the beginning of labor. In most cases, a Caesarean section will be recommended for delivering the babies.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

The Insider’s Guide to Healthy Hawaii: Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
What is twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome?
Twin to twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS) is an abnormality of the placental vasculature during pregn...
What questions should I ask when selecting a hospital for giving birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
If you are considering giving birth in a particular hospital, look at its website and/or go on a tou...
How can pregnancy transform my identity?
Whether you are single or in a committed partnership, over forty or in your teens, rich or poor or m...