What can I do if I face urinary frequency and leaking during pregnancy?

Temporary bladder control problems are common in pregnancy. Your unborn baby pushes down on the bladder, urethra, and pelvic floor muscles. This pressure can lead to more frequent need to urinate, as well as leaking of urine when sneezing, coughing, or laughing.

• Take frequent bathroom breaks
     • Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
     • Do Kegel exercises to tone pelvic muscles

Call a doctor if you experience burning along with frequency of urination — it may be an infection.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The first thing to do is to be evaluated for a bladder infection. For many women, the only symptom of a urinary tract infection during pregnancy are urinary frequency and urgency. Kegel exercises are good for all women in pregnancy and can decrease the chances of urinary incontinence in the future. Lastly, if someone is leaking during pregnancy they need to be evaluated to make sure that their water has not broken.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Do You Know What Meds Are Safe to Take While Pregnant?
Pregnancy—even in our high-tech era—still seems a bit magical. So it’s not surprising that there have always been some pretty far-out ideas about what...
If I'm pregnant and carrying high, will I have a girl?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
This is a myth and about as accurate as a guess - it's right half the time. "Carrying high" means th...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?