Why do I feel shortness of breath during pregnancy?

Feeling shortness of breath during pregnancy doesn't mean that you're literally unfit for motherhood. It's normal. Your lungs are processing about 40 percent more air than they do when you're not pregnant and, as the baby grows and takes up more space in your body, decreasing in size. So, you may find yourself huffing and puffing even when you do nothing more than just walk from one room to another. If the breathlessness persists at rest, you should call your doctor and be evaluated.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Pregnant? Why You Should Avoid Phthalates
If you’re pregnant or thinking about being pregnant staying away from phthalates (used to make plastics pliable) may be best for your future child’s n...
Why am I more prone to strains when I'm pregnant?
The hormone relaxin helps soften the connective tissues of the body - relaxing the pelvic joints, ri...
What causes the increase in breast size during pregnancy?
You may know that your breasts will increase in size during pregnancy, but it may help to know a lit...
Why do I need to rest after I deliver my baby?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
The first few days at home after having your baby are a time for rest and recovery physically and em...