How safe is it to clean out a litter box while pregnant?

It may not be safe to clean out a litter box while pregnant. It is best to avoid contact with cat feces while pregnant because a cat's feces may contain Toxoplasma gondii. This is a parasite that causes toxoplasmosis, a disease that can be harmful to the brain and vision of a developing fetus. A pregnant woman can become infected by exposure to a cat's feces while changing a litter box or eating anything that has been infected by the cat's feces, particularly from its paws on the kitchen counter. Some people have been infected and can be tested to see if they are immune.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

6 Surprises in the First Trimester
6 Surprises in the First Trimester
This past spring, as the only physician in the ER, I delivered a family’s healthy, beautiful baby right there in the critical care room. I’ve spent th...
Can Petite Women Safely Give Birth Vaginally?
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?
When Is the Proper Time to Tell Your Child They Have a Sibling On the Way?