How long does a normal pregnancy last?

A normal low-risk pregnancy can last anywhere from 38 to 41 or 42 weeks

Traditionally, pregnancy lasts 40 weeks based on the date of the last menstrual cycle.

A normal pregnancy lasts 40 weeks.

A normal term pregnancy lasts generally between 37 and 42 weeks. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists considers a full-term pregnancy to be between 39 weeks and 0 days and 40 weeks and 6 days. Early-term babies are born between 37 weeks and 38 weeks and 6 days. Babies born after 41 weeks are considered to be late-term or post-term.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Dad’s Health Plays a Key Role in Baby’s Health
In the movie, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, Rick Moranis played the part of a Dad who did his kids more harm than good. But in real life, when his wife di...
How soon after giving birth can I exercise?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Although you may be eager to shed any weight gained during pregnancy, be prepared to allow your body...
What is a term pregnancy?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In humans, singleton (one-baby) pregnancy lasts, on average, 40 weeks, or 280 days from the first da...
Can I Prevent Problems with Pregnancy After Age 40?