How long does a normal pregnancy last?

A normal term pregnancy lasts generally between 37 and 42 weeks. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists considers a full-term pregnancy to be between 39 weeks and 0 days and 40 weeks and 6 days. Early-term babies are born between 37 weeks and 38 weeks and 6 days. Babies born after 41 weeks are considered to be late-term or post-term.

A normal low-risk pregnancy can last anywhere from 38 to 41 or 42 weeks

Traditionally, pregnancy lasts 40 weeks based on the date of the last menstrual cycle.

A normal pregnancy lasts 40 weeks.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Are Hormones Taking Your Eyes for a Ride?
You might not think about how your hormones affect your eyes and vision, but they do throughout your life. "Hormones definitely affect your eyes from...
What can I do to work out after giving birth?
Mary ChappellMary Chappell
After vaginal delivery you can start out by walking and working out as soon as you feel like it (for...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?