How soon can I drive or travel after giving birth?

If you had a cesarean delivery, a painful episiotomy, or a low blood count, you should not drive for three to six weeks. If you are planning a long-distance trip in the first six weeks, speak with your medical provider first. In general, you can travel locally, but be aware of the possibility of overexertion and fatigue. On long road trips, get out of the car every hour or so, and walk for several minutes to help your circulation.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Why More U.S. Women Are Dying From Pregnancy-Related Issues
Hundreds of women die each year from pregnancy-related issues and most of these deaths are preventable, according to the Centers for Disease Control a...
What medications should I avoid if I'm pregnant or trying to get pregnant?
Here's a list of medications you should avoid while pregnant: Accutane for acne. Aspirin: In rar...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How Soon After Giving Birth Can I Have Sex?