Why do I get hot flashes during pregnancy?

Seven out of ten women experience hot flashes or night sweats during pregnancy. This happens when intense heat spreads throughout the upper body for anywhere from thirty seconds to five minutes - typically starting in the neck and head, but sometimes starting in the breast or lower. The intensity and frequency varies from woman to woman.

Nobody's quite sure what causes hot flashes (though we do know they can be triggered by spicy foods, hot drinks, alcohol, and stress). But some research shows that, fluctuating levels of estrogen may be the root of them (low blood sugar and hyperthyroidism are also thought to cause them). If you find that the hot flashes are more than just a temporary discomfort, you should talk to your doctor about looking for a root cause.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

6 Surprises in the First Trimester
6 Surprises in the First Trimester
This past spring, as the only physician in the ER, I delivered a family’s healthy, beautiful baby right there in the critical care room. I’ve spent th...
Mom Brain Explained
Mom Brain Explained
If you’ve ever been pregnant or spent time around expectant or new moms, you may have noticed increased lapses in memory, fatigue, absentmindedness or...
Is It Safe to Drink Green Tea During Pregnancy?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?
How Is Hyperemesis Gravidarum Treated?