Why do I get hot flashes during pregnancy?

Seven out of ten women experience hot flashes or night sweats during pregnancy. This happens when intense heat spreads throughout the upper body for anywhere from thirty seconds to five minutes - typically starting in the neck and head, but sometimes starting in the breast or lower. The intensity and frequency varies from woman to woman.

Nobody's quite sure what causes hot flashes (though we do know they can be triggered by spicy foods, hot drinks, alcohol, and stress). But some research shows that, fluctuating levels of estrogen may be the root of them (low blood sugar and hyperthyroidism are also thought to cause them). If you find that the hot flashes are more than just a temporary discomfort, you should talk to your doctor about looking for a root cause.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Ask Dr. Darria: I’m Pregnant and I Can’t Stop Vomiting. Is This Normal?
I’m two months pregnant, and I’m vomiting so much that it’s hard for me to go to work. Is this harming my baby? Is there any way to find relief? As I ...
What can cause a protruding bulge in the upper abdominal region?
A protruding bulge in the upper abdominal region could signify a number of different conditions,...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
How May Nursing My Baby Affect My Libido?