What experiences can I go through during pregnancy?

If you are pregnant, during the coming nine months, you will experience enormous physical and emotional changes as the embryo grows from a single fertilized cell into a fully developed fetus.

You may sense that you are pregnant even before you know for sure. You can buy a pregnancy test at most drugstores or supermarkets to confirm whether or not you are pregnant. These tests detect a hormone (human chorionic gonadotropin, or hCG) that is present in your urine and blood during pregnancy. You can take a test as early as the first day that you miss your period, if you have regular periods. If the results are positive, you are pregnant. If they are negative and your period has still not arrived several days later, take the test again. Your hCG levels may be too low for the test to detect until seven days after a missed period. Blood testing is accurate at an earlier point but requires a visit to a health care provider.

Your approximate due date is 40 weeks after the first day of your last menstrual period. Pregnancies usually range from 37 weeks to 43 weeks, with most women giving birth between 39 weeks and 41 weeks. Your due date is merely the middle of that window.

Our Bodies, Ourselves: A New Edition for a New Era

America's best-selling book on all aspects of women's health With more than four million copies sold, "Our Bodies, Ourselves" is "the" classic resource that women of all ages can turn to for...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Treating the 6 Worst Skin Problems During Pregnancy
Anyone who’s been pregnant knows that it’s one of the conundrums of pregnancy -- you have sudden changes to your skin (could be multiple, occasional, ...
Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...
What are the risks of taking anti-seizure drugs during pregnancy?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
In general, anti-seizure drugs are limited to the treatment of seizure or epilepsy disorders dur...
What Changes Can I Expect in My Body After Giving Birth?