How is an ectopic pregnancy treated?

Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

An ectopic pregnancy can be treated in two ways. If the ectopic pregnancy is caught early, the patient is stable, and there is no internal bleeding, it can be treated with a chemotherapy medication called methotrexate. Methotrexate is a medication that affects the cell cycle and can disrupt the rapid growth of a pregnancy. This will cause the ectopic pregnancy to dissolve and can remedy the problem. If a patient is unstable such as internal bleeding, severe pain or the ectopic pregnancy is greater than 3.5 cm, it is deemed appropriate for the ptient to have surgery. The surgical treatment for an ectopic pregnancy can be performed by either opening the fallopian tube and removing the abnormal pregnancy or removing the entire fallopian tube. It is my preference to always use methotrexate for my patients if possible so as to decrease the chances of them needing surgery. If they do need surgery, I believe that a laparoscopic approach without removing the fallopian tube is the best method.

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

Should You Freeze Your Eggs? 6 Things to Know Before You Do
Someday, Bachelorette fan favorite Kaitlyn Bristowe wants to have a baby—but only when she's ready. The 31-year-old recently opened up about freezing ...
Pregnant? Why You Should Avoid Phthalates
If you’re pregnant or thinking about being pregnant staying away from phthalates (used to make plastics pliable) may be best for your future child’s n...
Are vivid dreams common during pregnancy?
Many pregnant women (and especially postpartum women) report that their dreams become extremely vivi...
Will chemotherapy prevent me from getting pregnant?
Dr. Vincent T DeVita JrDr. Vincent T DeVita Jr
You cannot depend on chemotherapy to prevent pregnancy, and getting pregnant while receiving chemoth...