How can I ease the pain in my breasts after giving birth?

If you are not breastfeeding, your breasts may feel painful or engorged when they are full with milk. Generally, relief from engorgement occurs in 24 to 48 hours. Until then, apply an ice pack such as a bag of frozen vegetables under your arms and along the sides of your breasts for 20 to 30 minutes several times a day. Do not apply heat or face the spray of hot water when taking a shower. Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen as directed. If there are areas on either breast that are red, hot, or tender, and you have a fever over 100.5 degrees Fahrenheit, call your doctor.
You can ease the pain of your swollen breasts by manually expressing some of the excess milk and massaging your breasts in a hot shower. If you're set up to pump already, you can easily put away a few extra bottles. You'll probably also experience a lot of leakage until your milk production gets under control. In addition to wearing a bra with nursing pads, you may need to sleep on a bath towel so as not to soak your bed.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Pregnancy, Fertility and Childbirth

One More Reason to Be Healthy During Pregnancy
There’s a tabloid term - pregorexia – that describes a mother-to-be on a starvation diet. Nicole Kidman (2 kids) and Victoria Beckham (4 kids) are oft...
What is a term pregnancy?
HCA VirginiaHCA Virginia
In humans, singleton (one-baby) pregnancy lasts, on average, 40 weeks, or 280 days from the first da...
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Should You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in MindShould You Hire a Doula? 10 Things to Keep in Mind
Though only six percent of women hire them to help with pregnancy, doulas offer real benefits.
What Medications Should I Avoid If I'm Pregnant or Trying to Get Pregnant?