What are the physical restrictions after a C-section?

For C-section mothers, walking up stairs and driving should be limited for two weeks after birth. There should be no exercise for six weeks.

Some of the physical restrictions after a cesarean section (C-section) include avoiding activities where you need to bear down using your core and lifting no more than 15 lbs for a few weeks after delivery. This can generate a lot of pressure in your abdomen that stretches your C-section incision and may slow its healing. You should also avoid intercourse for 1 to 2 weeks, or until we see you back in the clinic to minimize the chances of infection or bleeding. You may also need to avoid driving for a couple weeks because pain medications may affect your reaction time. Plus, slamming on car brakes can be difficult or painful after a major surgery.

Continue Learning about Cesarean Delivery (C-Section) & Pregnancy

What is a cesarean wound infection?
Sky Ridge Medical CenterSky Ridge Medical Center
The symptoms of a cesarean section (C-section) wound infection are redness around the incision, swel...
How do I know if a cesarean section (C-section) is necessary?
Whether or not to perform a C-section can be a tricky call. A doctor needs to determine whether ther...
What happens during a caesarean section (C-section)?
In a caesarean section, the doctor may make a horizontal or a vertical incision to deliver the b...
If I've Had a C-Section, Will I Need One for My Next Pregnancy?