Can I continue to take prenatal vitamins after delivery?

You may want to continue to take prenatal vitamins after you deliver your baby if you're breast-feeding. That's because your diet directly impacts how much nutrition your newborn gets, which in turn can affect her growth and development. Talk to your health-care provider about continuing your prenatal supplements after you give birth if you're planning to nurse your baby.

If you're not breast-feeding, ask your doctor if there are other supplements you should be taking.
Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
You absolutely may continue to take prenatal vitamins after delivery. It is recommended that women who are breastfeeding continue prenatal vitamins until after weaning the baby.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

Banned Ingredients Still Found in Supplements
Don’t believe everything you hear when it comes to health supplements. It’s important to sleuth out -- and avoid -- harmful products advertised on TV,...
What vitamins help boost metabolism?
dotFITdotFIT
Vitamins are not metabolism boosters in adequately fed people. However, vitamins perform important f...
Why should I store vitamins with iron out of the reach of children?
Phillip J. Landrigan, MDPhillip J. Landrigan, MD
Iron is one of the most toxic substances for children and represents one of the most common types of...
What Vitamins Should a Woman Over 50 Be Taking?