question

How long can influenza type B last?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Donna Hill Howes, RN
answer

The first symptoms of influenza (flu) virus B, including fever, chills, headache and body aches, often begin to go away after about 2 or 3 days. In some cases, these symptoms will last 5 days or longer. The respiratory symptoms of influenza virus B, such as coughing, throat irritation and congestion may last for days or weeks. However, most people are not contagious after about a week from the beginning of symptoms.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Who’s at risk for serious flu complications?
Influenza is an infection that affects your nose, throat, and lungs. You likely know it as the flu. The flu is caused by a virus. The flu can lead to...
What cough medicine can I take if I'm pregnant and have a bad cough?
What cough medicine can I take if I'm pregnant and have a bad cough? "Guaifenesin" is the active ing...
Learn the best time to get your flu shot—and 5 other important facts
Learn the best time to get your flu shot—and 5 other important factsLearn the best time to get your flu shot—and 5 other important factsLearn the best time to get your flu shot—and 5 other important factsLearn the best time to get your flu shot—and 5 other important facts
Get the facts—and avoid common myths—so you can avoid getting the flu this season. Flu season typically begins in October and lasts until May, but mo...
How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year How to Survive Cold and Flu Season This Year
From opening a window for a little fresh air to disinfecting your kids’ toys, these easy tips can keep you healthy during cold and flu season. ‘Tis t...