Test Your Cold and Flu SmartsTake the Quiz
AskMDGot a runny nose? Find out more about your symptoms
Number of viruses identified
that can cause colds
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Cold and Flu Q&As
Natalie T. Shum, MD
West Hills Hospital & Medical Center
When do I need an antibiotic if I have a cold?
If you have a cold caused by a virus, you won't need an antibiotic. In this video, Natalie Shum, MD, an emergency medicine doctor at West Hills Hospital, describes how taking too many antibiotics can be dangerous for your health . . .
- Q What causes a cold?
- Q How can a cold be treated?
- Q What is the flu?
- Q What are the symptoms of the flu?
- Q How many people die from the flu each year?
- Q Can antibiotics help treat a cold?
- Q How can I prevent the flu?
- Q What are natural treatments for cold and flu?
- Q What are treatments for a sinus infection?
- Q How can I stay healthy during flu season?
Cold and Flu Action Plans
If you think you might have a cold or flu, follow these Action Plans to feel better fast.
Relieve Your Symptoms with this Herb How to Prevent and Treat Strep Throat 5-Step Plan to Avoid Colds and Flu 5 Immunity Boosters Learn More: See All Cold and Flu Articles
Colds and Flu Videos
White Bean Soup
Stave off sniffles with this hearty soup. White kidney beans and spinach contain zinc, a powerful immunity booster; tomatoes add an extra dose of vitamin C.
Avoid Colds and Flu When You Fly
Try these tips to reduce your risk of catching a cold or the flu when you travel.
Find out more