Test Your Cold and Flu SmartsTake the Quiz
AskMDGot a runny nose? Find out more about your symptoms
Number of viruses identified
that can cause colds
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Cold and Flu Q&As
Natalie T. Shum, MD
West Hills Hospital & Medical Center
When do I need an antibiotic if I have a cold?
If you have a cold caused by a virus, you won't need an antibiotic. In this video, Natalie Shum, MD, an emergency medicine doctor at West Hills Hospital, describes how taking too many antibiotics can be dangerous for your health . . .
- Q When is flu season in the United States?
- Q What does the color of my phlegm mean?
- Q How common is the flu?
- Q Why should I avoid touching my face if I want to prevent colds and flu?
- Q Why should I get a flu vaccination if I'm healthy?
- Q How can I prevent the flu if I am pregnant?
- Q When should I see a doctor for a cold or flu if I'm pregnant?
- Q What causes flu to develop into pneumonia?
- Q What is the difference between the flu vaccine and antivirals?
- Q How soon do flu symptoms develop after being exposed to a virus?
Recent Cold and Flu Articles
5 Questions to Ask If You Have a Respiratory Infection Try These Immune-Boosting Berries When the Flu Becomes Dangerous Stuffy Nose? This OTC Decongestant Won’t Help See All Articles