Can I get the flu if I've had a flu shot?

You can still get the flu if you've had a flu shot because it will not provide 100% protection against the flu. The flu vaccine is not foolproof. When the vaccine and the circulating viruses are similar, the vaccine can prevent the flu among 70% to 90% of healthy adults under 65. Even if you do get the flu, the vaccine can still protect you against flu-related complications by minimizing the severity of the illness. And, contrary to flu myths out there, you cannot get the flu from a flu shot or the nasal vaccine.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

The risk of getting the flu after taking the flu shot is low. Studies from previous years show that the flu vaccine, whether given as a shot or nasal spray, appears to protect up to 60% of people from getting sick when the vaccine is a good match to the circulating viruses. The effectiveness of the vaccine during any given flu season depends on the health of the person who receives it and how well-matched the viruses in the vaccine are to the particular viruses circulating at the time.

People whose immune systems are compromised and elderly people are most likely to contract the flu, even if they've been vaccinated, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The vaccine itself does not cause the flu. 

Dr. Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrician

You cannot get the flu, or influenza, from the flu shot. However, you can still get the flu if you are exposed before protection starts.

After getting the flu shot, your body needs around two weeks to create an immune response capable of fighting off the flu. If you get the flu shot and then get exposed to the flu virus a week later, you may not have the full protection that the flu shot would have given you the next week. 

In addition, the flu shot only offers protection against the three most common flu types of the season. If you are exposed to another type of the flu, you will not have protection. Because of this, it is important to get your flu shot every flu season in order to get protection from the flu types of that particular season.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Driving with a Cold is As Dangerous as Driving Drunk
If your nose looks like a radish and your eyes are more watery than chicken soup at a bad diner, the only equipment you should be operating is a therm...
10 Cold and Flu Remedies That Really Work
10 Cold and Flu Remedies That Really Work10 Cold and Flu Remedies That Really Work10 Cold and Flu Remedies That Really Work10 Cold and Flu Remedies That Really Work
From Grandma's chicken soup to hot chile peppers, these treatments can help. Aches. Sniffles. Fever. Cold and flu season is in full swing. When you’r...
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
What Should I Do If I Have the Flu?
How to Stay Well During Cold and Flu Season