How soon do flu symptoms develop after being exposed to a virus?

Influenza, or the flu, is a viral disease of the respiratory tract—the nose, throat, bronchial tubes and lungs. The flu is highly contagious and is spread though airborne droplets of moisture produced when someone with the flu coughs or sneezes. When you breathe in these germs, you may come down with the flu, generally within one to four days of being exposed.

Flu symptoms usually develop three to four days after being exposed to the flu virus. The typical incubation period for the flu virus is one to four days (two day average) with onset of illness from transmission usually occurring in three to four days in the average healthy adult.

Continue Learning about Cold and Flu

Staying Home When You're Sick Is Good for the Herd
You’ve seen the commercials with the message: “Mom’s don’t get a day off.” That company wants you to buy their product and get to work! And it’s the s...
What would a serious flu epidemic look like today?
A serious flu epidemic today would possibly look much like the H1N1, or swine flu, outbreak that...
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked7 Cold and Flu Myths—Debunked
Get the facts on the cold and flu and keep your family healthy this season.
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?
Do I Have a Cold or the Flu?