How are water-soluble vitamins absorbed by the body?

Dariush Mozaffarian, MD
Water-soluble vitamins are packed into the watery portions of the foods you eat. They are absorbed directly into the bloodstream as food is broken down during digestion or as a supplement dissolves. Because much of your body consists of water, many of the water-soluble vitamins circulate easily in your body. (One exception is vitamin B6, which is mostly stored in muscle tissue.) Your kidneys continuously regulate levels of water-soluble vitamins, shunting excesses out of the body in your urine.

Contrary to popular belief, some water-soluble vitamins can stay in the body for long periods of time. You probably have several years' supply of vitamin B12 in your liver. And even folic acid and vitamin C stores can last more than a couple of days. Generally, though, water-soluble vitamins should be replenished every few days.

Continue Learning about Vitamins

How Much Vitamin D Is Healthy to Take?
How Much Vitamin D Is Healthy to Take?
It takes just the right amount of vitamin D to ward off health problems—from cardiovascular disease and immune system problems to weak bones and cogni...
What vitamins can help protect my skin from sun damage?
Currently, there are no vitamins that protect your skin from sun damage. The most effective way to p...
When should I start taking prenatal vitamins?
Dr. Kevin W. Windom, MDDr. Kevin W. Windom, MD
I tell all of my patients that they should start taking prenatal vitamins two to three months prior ...
Is it dangerous to consume too many water-soluble vitamins?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
There is a small risk that consuming large amounts of water-soluble vitamins through supplements may...