What is the difference between patient safety and quality?

The difference between patient safety and quality has been debated for some time. Safety was described as one of the 6 elements of quality healthcare in a 2001 Institute of Medicine report called “Crossing the Quality Chasm.” Patient safety is recognized as an important element of an effective, efficient healthcare system.
  • Safety has to do with lack of harm; quality has to do with efficient, effective, purposeful care that gets the job done at the right time for the right cost.
  • Safety focuses on avoiding bad events, quality focuses on doing things well.
  • Safety makes it less likely that mistakes happen. Quality raises the ceiling so the overall care experience is a better one.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
In the Hospital? Have an Advocate
Recently, I woke up in the back of an ambulance after a bad bicycle accident with an EMT sticking an IV in my arm. The first words out of my mouth wer...
Why does medicine seem to flip-flop on what is good or bad?
SCAISCAI
It can be frustrating: what is good for you one day is bad the next, or no one seems quite sure. Is ...
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew10 Things Nurses Wish Their Patients Knew
Be honest, speak up and don't forget to stop in and say hello
How Do You Convince People to Use Brain Fitness Games and Analytics?