question

What is the difference between patient safety and quality?

Hospital Safety Score
Hospital Safety Score
answer
The difference between patient safety and quality has been debated for some time. Safety was described as one of the 6 elements of quality healthcare in a 2001 Institute of Medicine report called “Crossing the Quality Chasm.” Patient safety is recognized as an important element of an effective, efficient healthcare system.
  • Safety has to do with lack of harm; quality has to do with efficient, effective, purposeful care that gets the job done at the right time for the right cost.
  • Safety focuses on avoiding bad events, quality focuses on doing things well.
  • Safety makes it less likely that mistakes happen. Quality raises the ceiling so the overall care experience is a better one.

Continue Learning about Healthcare Basics

5 things your nurse wants you to know
5 things your nurse wants you to know
I consider myself lucky to be one of the 4.2 million registered nurses (RNs) in the United States. It's an amazing profession full of brilliant, kind,...
Epigenetics: Why Your Lifestyle Choices May Leave Your Family a Legacy of Health
Dr. Dean Ornish and his colleagues broke ground when they found that our lifestyle choices could turn on or off more than 500 genes that affect health...
Choosing a Surgeon: How Much Experience is Enough?
An old joke involves a patient asking the doctor, “Have you been successful doing this surgery?”If the doctor says, “Yes, I’ve been successful,” that ...
4 reasons to see your doctor now
4 reasons to see your doctor now
There are plenty of reasons to see a healthcare provider (HCP), including some of the obvious ones. If you're having severe symptoms—say, you're cough...