Why does my dentist check my blood pressure?

Your dentist wants to make sure you do not have very high blood pressure before starting a dental procedure. Having high blood during a procedure might increase your risk for a cardiovascular event like a heart attack or stroke. Some anti-anxiety drugs such as diazepam (Valium) or nitrous oxide ("laughing gas") might help lower blood pressure during a dental procedure. Ask your dentist what is best for you.

Continue Learning about Heart Disease and Oral Health

The Surprising Link Between Dental Hygiene and Heart Health
After undergoing periodontal surgery, comedian and television personality Whoopi Goldberg returned to her seat on The View and admitted to the public ...
How does oral health affect heart disease?
Poor dentition can increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. It is thought there is an inflam...
Are antibiotics safe for people with heart problems before dental work?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Prophylactic antibiotics have routinely been prescribed for people undergoing dental work who also h...
Is There a Link Between My Heart and My Teeth?