- Aerobic exercise, including water aerobics, helps reduce fibromyalgia symptoms.
- There is no difference in benefits if you do aerobic exercise on land or in water.
- In addition to improving physical fitness in people with fibromyalgia, aerobic exercise significantly decreases pain, fatigue, and depressed mood.
- Start aerobics at a comfortable level and gradually increase to a target of low- to moderate-intensity exercise for 20-30 minutes, 2-3 times a week. At moderate intensity, you should be able to have a conversation with someone while you exercise.
- Stick with your aerobic program for at least 4-6 weeks to see benefits.
- People who continue an exercise program are more likely to have less pain and depression than those who stop.
Find out more about this book:The Woman's Fibromyalgia Toolkit: Manage Your Symptoms and Take Control of Your Life