Question

Fibromyalgia Diagnosis

How do I know if my pain is from fibromyalgia?

• To determine if your pain is from fibromyalgia, your doctor will perform a physical exam and discuss your symptoms. He or she may order tests to rule out other medical problems. A doctor may suspect fibromyalgia if your pain has lasted for at least three months, is widespread and is accompanied by certain other symptoms, notably fatigue, insomnia, and poor concentration and attention span (sometimes called "fibro fog").

• AMehmet Oz, MD, Cardiology, answered
    Fibromyalgia is a syndrome that causes widespread pain throughout the body. A variety of different symptoms are associated with fibromyalgia, so it's the kind of condition you could easily, but wrongly, think you have. Therefore, getting an accurate diagnosis is important. You need to find a physician experienced with fibromyalgia to diagnose you. He or she will take a thorough medical history and then conduct a physical exam. To determine if you have fibromyalgia, the doctor will ask if you have pain in multiple areas of your body that has lasted for more than three months and how much you are bothered by symptoms like fatigue, trouble sleeping and difficulty thinking clearly.
    Helpful? 4 people found this helpful.
How can I help my doctor diagnose fibromyalgia?