Is vitamin E safe for my child?

Yes, vitamin E is safe for children but only give your child supplementation as advised by your doctor. Vitamin E is a vitamin, which means our bodies need it to survive. But most of us get the vitamin E we need in the foods we eat. Vitamin E is found in oils, nuts, whole grains and green leafy vegetables. Children need less vitamin E than adults. Children between the ages of four to eight need seven milligrams a day while children between the ages of nine to 13 need 11 milligrams. An ounce of almonds contains more than seven milligrams and two tablespoons of peanut butter contain about three milligrams. Talk with your doctor before giving your child vitamin E. Too much can be dangerous. Vitamin E is stored in the liver and too much can cause serious side effects.

Continue Learning about Vitamin E

Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Vitamin E and Prostate Cancer
Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among men and the second leading cause of cancer death among men in the U.S., so it's understandable that gu...
What should I know before using vitamin E supplements?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
Overconsumption of the synthetic form of vitamin E that is found in supplements and/or fortified foo...
How much vitamin E do I need per day as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
You need about 400 IU of vitamin E daily to protect cells in the body from damage caused by free...
Do Selenium and Vitamin E Help Prevent Prostate Cancer?