For how long should I hold a calf stretch?

When you are performing a static stretch it is recommended you hold it between 20-30 seconds. When you stretch a tight muscle, the first thing your muscle wants to do is contract. This is a protective mechanism so you don't injure that tight muscle. If you hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds, then the muscle will think that everything is alright and that it's not going to get hurt, so it can begin to relax. This will help lengthen the muscle. The more you stretch the muscle, the more "trust" the muscle will have in you and will relax easier and easier, thus becoming more and more extensible, leading to improved flexibility.

Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness

Static streching is a good technique to relax and lengthen your muscles. You should hold all static stretches for 20-30 seconds and perform 1-3 sets

Continue Learning about Stretching

How do I do the hamstring stretch exercise while standing?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
The hamstring stretch exercise stretches tight hamstrings responsible for poor pelvic motion whi...
How do I stretch my neck?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
There are lots of muscles working together in the neck, and they all connect into other areas of...
Are there stretches I can perform at home, the office, or a in hotel room?
Absolutely! One the great things about stretching is that little to no additional equipment is requi...
What is a good exercise to stretch the deep soleus muscle in my calves?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Here's how to do a standing soleus stretch: Reps: 3-4 Sets: 1 Intensity: Light Hold: 10-30 second...