For how long should I hold a calf stretch?

Dr. Mike Clark, DPT
Fitness

Static streching is a good technique to relax and lengthen your muscles. You should hold all static stretches for 20-30 seconds and perform 1-3 sets

When you are performing a static stretch it is recommended you hold it between 20-30 seconds. When you stretch a tight muscle, the first thing your muscle wants to do is contract. This is a protective mechanism so you don't injure that tight muscle. If you hold the stretch for 20-30 seconds, then the muscle will think that everything is alright and that it's not going to get hurt, so it can begin to relax. This will help lengthen the muscle. The more you stretch the muscle, the more "trust" the muscle will have in you and will relax easier and easier, thus becoming more and more extensible, leading to improved flexibility.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Warm Up Exercises Before, Cool Down Stretches After
If you're a guilt-ridden exerciser who never stretches before popping that vintage Richard Simmons tape into your player, go to the head of the class....
How can I stretch my shoulders?
Joshua J. StoneJoshua J. Stone
There are 2 very good stretches for the shoulder muscles. They are the latissimus dorsi stretch and ...
How can I stretch my quadriceps?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are several methods to stretch your quadriceps, for example: While laying on your stomach, ...
The Exercise to Do for a Stress-Free Morning