Why is ballistic or excessive stretching bad?

Eric Beard
Sports Medicine

Muscles and the tissue around the muscles typically respond best to slow movements and static holds. Bouncing or moving “ballistically” can excite the nervous system and tighten the muscle instead of relaxing it. Moving too quickly with too much force can cause small tears in the muscle and surrounding tissue as well. Start off by holding stretches for 30 seconds while experiencing a mild to moderate pull or feeling of stretch. Once you have done this for two to three sets, or you have established good flexibility in your muscles, you can move onto more dynamic stretches. You can perform dynamic stretches rhythmically but start slow and gradually build your speed always practicing good control and form.

Both ballistic stretching and excessive stretching can be harmful to your muscles, tendons, and joints. Ballistic stretching uses the body’s momentum in an attempt to achieve greater range of motion and flexibility. An example of this would be bouncing up and down repeatedly to touch your toes. This bouncing motion may stretch the tendon or muscle too far and/or too fast causing potential injury. In addition, this bouncing motion activates the stretch reflex which causes your muscle to involuntary contract in an attempt to protect it from harm, defeating the purpose of the stretch. It is much safer to perform stretching techniques with a slow and controlled tempo.

Continue Learning about Stretching

how do i perform a low back stretch with cross leg ?
it with one leg extended in front of your body and your opposite leg crossed over the other, place y...
how can i stretch my shoulders ?
Joshua J. StoneJoshua J. Stone
There are 2 very good stretches for the shoulder muscles. They are the latissimus dorsi stretch and ...
when i am doing a calf stretch is it ok to hang off a step ?
Hanging off a step seems like a good idea since it increases your range of motion during stretching ...
how do i foam roll my hamstrings ?
how do i foam roll my hamstrings ?