How far should I go into a stretch?

Since every person is different, how far you move into a stretch varies by the tightness of the muscle you are stretching. A good rule of thumb is to move slowly into every stretch until you reach the first feeling of tension in the muscle. Then, hold that position for 30 seconds to help lengthen (stretch) the muscle. Slowly move out of the stretch to avoid injury.

Continue Learning about Stretching

How do I stretch my neck?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
There are lots of muscles working together in the neck, and they all connect into other areas of...
Do I have to do cardio to warm-up?
No, you do not have to do cardio to warm-up before your workout. The purpose of performing a warm-up...
Is there a stretch I can do to help improve my posture?
Improving posture will typically require a mix of flexibility and strengthening exercises. The first...
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?
How Do I Foam Roll My Hamstrings?