Is stretching going to help me tone-up?

Yes, stretching can help you tone-up assuming you follow your stretches with strengthening exercises. When a muscle is stretched (and held for 30 seconds) two basic things happen in that muscle. One is the muscle starts to relax and the second is the muscle increases in length (elongates). This will result in greater joint range of motion and improve movement quality. If you're able to effectively move in greater ranges of motion and improve movement quality, your exercise routine will become more efficient and effective. As an added benefit, stretching tight muscles will help "wake" other muscles on the opposite side of the joint. For example stetching tight hip flexors (muscles on the front of your hip) will actually wake up your glutes (the nervous system can send stronger signals to your butt muscles). So if you're the type of person who sits for extended periods of time, stretching your hip flexors prior to peforming strengthening exercises for your glutes (such as a ball bridge) will give you more bang for your buck. This can translate to a firmer rear-end!

Joel Merritt
Fitness
In and of itself, stretching will not necessarily help you tone up.  However, stretching along with resistance training will help you tone up more than resistance training alone.  Stretching helps to improve the muscle range of motion so that you can not only do more complete work through the entire muscle, but also greatly decrease the risk of injury to yourself. Injury is the fastest way to sabotage your results, so stretching is an essential part of any toning goal.

Continue Learning about Stretching

Which Stretches Are Most Beneficial Before Going on a Walk?
Photo Credit: Rob, via Flickr Creative Commons Do you stretch before you walk? Do you know how to breathe properly when stretching? Did you know your...
How can I loosen my lower back and hips after a flight?
Joel Harper - Elite TrainerJoel Harper - Elite Trainer
This is a great stretch for all of us to do: the Seated Curtsy (stretches muscles of the hip). Sit ...
How long should I hold a stretch for?
Typically stretches should be held for 20-30 seconds. This type of stretching is known as static str...
The Exercise to Do for a Stress-Free Morning