What foods are the worst triggers for acid reflux?

Here are the top 10 triggers for acid reflux. This is not a complete list, for sure. Avoid the foods that you know are going to cause you problems!

• tomatoes
  • citrus fruits
  • onions
  • carbonated drinks
  • alcohol
  • spicy foods
  • fried foods
  • coffee
  • chocolate
  • peppermint

These foods are considered common triggers of acid reflux:

• Spicy foods
  • Fried foods
  • Coffee (including decaf)
  • Soda
  • Alcohol, particularly wine
  • Tomatoes and tomato-based foods, including pizza
  • Salt
  • Garlic
  • Onion
  • Chocolate
  • Peppermint
  • Citrus fruits and juices
Marisa Moore
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

If you experience acid reflux (heartburn), keep a journal of the foods you eat that cause the problem. You may find that these common trigger foods make the list:

• Spicy foods like hot sauce or food with hot peppers as in Thai and other spicy cuisines
  • Orange juice
  • Tomatoes and tomato-based dishes
  • Garlic and onions
  • Fried foods, juicy hamburgers and full-fat cheese 
  • Chocolate
  • Mint
  • Caffeine and caffeinated beverages including coffee, tea and soda
  • Alcohol

While these foods alone may trigger acid reflux, too much of any food can lead to it. If you are already prone to acid reflux, eat smaller meals and don’t lie down too soon after a meal. Give yourself at least 3 hours after a meal before going to bed to avoid a flare up.

Dr. Jonathan E. Aviv, MD
Ear, Nose & Throat (ENT Specialist)

The worst foods for acid reflux include caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, mint, fried food, garlic, vinegar and some vegetables. In this video, otolaryngologist Jonathan Aviv, MD, explains why these foods trigger acid reflux or throatburn symptoms.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What are the complications of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
GERD irritates the esophagus and can lead to a narrowing and/or ulceration of the esophagus, a risk ...
Who is a good candidate for endoscopic surgery for GERD?
Dr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MDDr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MD
Surgery to correct GERD is considered in younger patients to help them from a lifetime of ongoing re...
What Will Happen If I Don't Treat My Acid Reflux?