What can affect mammogram results?

Hormone supplementation, menopause, pregnancy, and lactation can affect breast density, which can in turn affect mammogram results.

Several different things can affect a mammogram and the accuracy of results. They include:

•  Applying deodorant, perfume, lotion or powder to skin before a mammogram. These substances can cause shadows to show up on the mammogram.
  •  Dense breasts, particularly in young women, can make finding abnormal lesions or cancer more difficult.
  •  Use of hormone therapy, which can make breasts more dense, and make finding cancer more difficult.
  •  The menstrual cycle. Breasts are more dense in the week before menstruation begins, which can make cancer trickier to detect and may make getting the mammogram more uncomfortable than it would be a week after a period begins.
  •  Breastfeeding, which causes changes in the breast that make detecting cancer on a mammogram more difficult.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Hidden Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
Hidden Heart Attack Symptoms in Women
As a woman, you may feel that a heart attack is not the greatest risk you face. But the threat is very real, especially in the years leading up to and...
When is the best time of month to have a mammogram in relation to period?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
The week after your menstrual period is over is the best time to have a mammogram because it won’t b...
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than MenThe Surprising Ways STIs Impact Women Differently Than Men
The unique ways women are affected by STIs, plus tips on prevention.
How Can I Know If I'm Ready to Have a Child?