What type of doctor does a breast exam?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
You may obtain a breast exam and pelvic exam from any of several health care providers. If you regularly see a family practice physician or nurse practitioner, you may receive these types of examinations from them. Specialists in this area of health care, women’s reproductive health, are physicians called gynecologists, nurse practitioners specializing in women’s health, and nurse midwives. These specialists have additional training and clinical experience in taking care of women.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.