What type of doctor does a breast exam?

Many types of doctors perform breast exams. Family practitioners, OB/GYNs, internists, and even breast health clinics perform breast exams.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

You may obtain a breast exam and pelvic exam from any of several health care providers. If you regularly see a family practice physician or nurse practitioner, you may receive these types of examinations from them. Specialists in this area of health care, women’s reproductive health, are physicians called gynecologists, nurse practitioners specializing in women’s health, and nurse midwives. These specialists have additional training and clinical experience in taking care of women.

Continue Learning about Women's Health

Should You Have an Annual Pelvic Exam?
Should You Have an Annual Pelvic Exam?
Currently, OBGYNs do annual pelvic exams to look for cancers, infections or other conditions. The exam could help detect problems that may not present...
What is the treatment for thinning vaginal walls?
To check for thinning vaginal walls, take a handheld mirror, and observe the color inside the openin...
Are My Breasts Normal?
Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?Are My Breasts Normal?
What Is a C-Reactive Protein Test?
What Is a C-Reactive Protein Test?