When should I seek immediate help if I have glaucoma?

Sometimes, glaucoma can be asymptomatic until it is a true emergency with risk of permanent blindness. See your doctor for glaucoma if you have the following symptoms:
  • vision loss
  • appearance of halos around light
  • headaches
  • eye pain
  • nausea or vomiting
  • redness in the white part of the eye
  • eye swelling
These signs and symptoms may be related to medical problems other than glaucoma, but it is important to address concerns about glaucoma early on and treat it as a potentially serious condition, which requires early intervention and treatment.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

Does glaucoma affect children differently than adults?
Glaucoma typically affects middle-aged people and older. Some children may be born with a defect in ...
What are the different types of glaucoma?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma. This is the most common form of glaucoma in the United States. The ris...
What Are the Most Important Issues in Eye Health?
Is There a Problem with the Downward Dog Position in Yoga That I Should Watch Out for?