How can I prevent glaucoma?

Vision loss from glaucoma can be prevented if the disease is detected and treated in time. Because glaucoma rarely produces symptoms until it has progressed, regular eye examinations are the key to early detection and treatment. For those with no risk factors, the American Academy of Ophthalmology recommends a complete eye exam once in your 20s and twice in your 30s. You should have a baseline comprehensive eye exam at age 40, and your eye doctor will recommend follow-up exams based on your family history and the results of the baseline exam. After age 65, it's important to have a complete eye exam every year or two.

You're at risk of developing glaucoma if you are older than age 60; are African American, an older Latino, especially of Mexican descent; have a family member who has glaucoma; are very nearsighted; are diabetic; have had an eye injury in the past; or have been taking steroid or cortisone medications regularly. In such cases, you should have an eye exam including tests for glaucoma every one to two years after age 35.
Sreedhar Potarazu
Ophthalmology
Glaucoma is a condition wherby the pressure within the eye is increased and can cause damage to the optic nerve and nerve fibers. There are different causes of glaucoma that can cause the pressure to be increased. The most common-type of glaucoma called "open-angle" glaucoma can run in families. There is no means of preventing glaucoma, but those with a family history should have annual checkups with their ophthalmologist to  make sure the pressure is not elevated and their has been no damage to the optic nerve or visual field( peripheral vision).
Kelly Traver
Glaucoma is a condition in which the optic nerve is damaged, often, but not always, due to high pressure within the eye. Pressure in the eye can occur if your eye makes too much fluid or fails to absorb it at the rate it is produced. Untreated glaucoma can lead to blindness. In general, routine eye checks are advised every two to four years between the ages of 40 and 64 and every year or two after 65.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma

What is glaucoma?
Glaucoma refers to a group of eye diseases that damage the nerves carrying images from the eye to th...
What should I ask my doctor about glaucoma?
Review the following questions about glaucoma so you're prepared to discuss this important health is...
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
How Has Glaucoma Treatment Advanced?
Do genetics Play a Role in Eye Diseases Like Glaucoma?