How important is it to use my glaucoma eyedrops every day?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You must use your eye drops exactly as instructed to. Using the eye drops on a regular basis to prevent further damage to the optic nerve. The medication's effectiveness will increase with proper use of the eye drops. Some eye drops may have side effects because certain kinds are absorbed into your bloodstream. To reduce your risk of side effects, use your eye drops carefully and properly.

Dr. Andrew G. Iwach, MD
Ophthalmologist (Eye Specialist)

I know how hard it can be to stick to a daily schedule, but it's important that you never miss taking your eye drops. Glaucoma is usually controlled with eye drops taken daily. These medications lower eye pressure, either by decreasing the amount of aqueous fluid produced within the eye or by improving the drainage from the eye. The eye drops must be taken on daily basis. Just like any other medication, it is important to take your eye drops regularly as prescribed by your Eye M.D. You should also never change or stop taking your medications without consulting your Eye M.D. If, despite your best efforts, this continues to be an ongoing problem, make sure to tell your Eye M.D. He or she may discuss other possible options for you, such as a laser treatment.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma Treatments

What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?