Can a home tonometer replace doctor visits for glaucoma?

Measuring intraocular pressure is only one of many important factors that your ophthalmologist takes into consideration when monitoring glaucoma. Glaucoma is a chronic progressive disease and good care includes continuous evaluation of your general medical condition, the symptoms and history, the health of the optic nerve and other eye structures, the visual field, the optic nerve scan and the response to treatments.

Continue Learning about Glaucoma Treatments

What can I expect if I have open-angle glaucoma surgery?
American Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmartAmerican Academy of Ophthalmology's EyeSmart
Before Surgery You will continue to use your glaucoma medications until just prior to surgery. If y...
Is an iridectomy the best treatment for close-angle glaucoma?
Louis B. Cantor, MDLouis B. Cantor, MD
Laser iridectomy is the gold standard for treating angle-closure glaucoma and is the primary differe...
Is there a cure for glaucoma?
Baptist Health South FloridaBaptist Health South Florida
There is no cure for glaucoma–yet–but vision damage can be reduced or avoided through treatment that...
What Are the Challenges in Treating Glaucoma?