How is the sit and reach test performed?

After performing a gentle warm up to help loosen up the muscles, sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you with your feet 10” apart.  Place a tape measure or meter stick between the legs with the 15” mark in line with your feet, and the zero mark closer to your body.  Sit up straight with both arms extended in front of you, one hand over the top of the other.  As you exhale, reach as far forward as you can, keeping your legs straight.  Your reach is what is measured.  Take the best of three measurements. 

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How is fitness measured in the lab?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
Fitness is generally measured in the lab as maximum oxygen uptake, or VO2 max. This is a measure of ...
How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...
What should my heart rate be during cardio exercise?
Todd Townes - Sharecare Fitness ExpertTodd Townes - Sharecare Fitness Expert
Start by determining your maximum heart rate. I suggest the following formula: 220 - your age = esti...
What is heat tolerance testing?
Michael Bergeron, PhDMichael Bergeron, PhD
Heat tolerance testing evaluates an athlete’s current tolerance to exercising in the heat. Athletes ...