Why do I weigh more after vigorous exercise?

Typically individuals will weigh less immediately following exercise because of sweat loss. This can be very dangerous leading to dehydration and heat illness. However, individuals who ingest fluids at a much higher volume than their sweat rate may actually weigh more. Some endurance athletes can actually suffer from hyponatremia (the opposite of dehydration) which is also dangerous because sodium levels in bodily fluids becomes extremely low and can cause confusion, hallucinations, convulsions, weakness and nausea.

If you weigh more a day following exercise this is often due to fluid retention as your body recovers from vigorous activity.

Ever wonder why the scale gives you a higher weight after vigorous exercise?

Watch the video to learn more from Dr. Oz about why you weigh more after vigorous exercise.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising?
The best way to measure your metabolism is to exercise on machines that measure what’s known as Meta...
What tests are used to assess lower body agility and control?
The Shark Skill test measures agility and neuromuscular control in the lower extremities. Start by m...
What is VO2 max?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
VO2max is the maximal oxygen consumption or uptake. It's the most relevant measure of the cardioresp...
What tests are used to assess upper body agility and stabilization?
Kristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness ExpertKristy Lee Wilson - Sharecare Fitness Expert
The Davies test is used to assess upper body agility and stabilization. To peform the Davies Test, p...