question

Why do I weigh more after vigorous exercise?

National Academy of Sports Medicine
National Academy of Sports Medicine
answer

Typically individuals will weigh less immediately following exercise because of sweat loss. This can be very dangerous leading to dehydration and heat illness. However, individuals who ingest fluids at a much higher volume than their sweat rate may actually weigh more. Some endurance athletes can actually suffer from hyponatremia (the opposite of dehydration) which is also dangerous because sodium levels in bodily fluids becomes extremely low and can cause confusion, hallucinations, convulsions, weakness and nausea.

If you weigh more a day following exercise this is often due to fluid retention as your body recovers from vigorous activity.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity?
What is the "talk test” and is it accurate to measure exercise intensity? The talk test is one way t...
What does the push up test measure?
What does the push up test measure? The push up test measures muscular endurance of the upper body. ...
Why is waist-hip ratio important?
Avoiding an expanding waistline is one way to reduce the risk of heart disease and metabolic syndrom...
How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising?
How do I measure my metabolic rate when exercising? One way to estimate METs is by "sweat time": Try...