What does the push up test measure?

The push up test measures muscular endurance of the upper body.

The push up test is performed for a duration of 60 seconds, or until failure without any break in proper form. Begin in a push up position with the body forming a straight line from head to ankles. Have a partner place their closed fist on the floor underneath the chest of the person performing the push ups. Keeping the body straight, lower down until the chest makes contact with the fist, then return to the start position. Only the push ups where the chest makes contact with the partners fist are counted and recorded.

The push up test measures upper body endurance, as opposed to a one rep maximum bench press test which measures muscular strength.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How does talking help determine the intensity of exercise?
Joan PaganoJoan Pagano
The "talk test" is a timeless and easy way to guage the intensity of cardio exercise, based on your ...
Should I jump into local races even if I am not in race shape yet?
Absolutely! Since there’s so much more to being a successful cyclist than merely having great fi...
How can lactate testing be helpful when designing an exercise program?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
The main benefit of knowing your lactate threshold is in helping design personalized training plans....
What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?
Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case...