What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?

Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case of cardiovascular exercise, it is the power that you are producing when training. The more power you are producing, the harder you are working. The best way to explain this power is in calories. When you are producing power, you are burning more calories. This is a very important way to design your program and progressions if you are trying to lose weight. Much like resistance training, you need to slowly overload the muscles and have a recovery period before overloading again. Over time, you will produce more power. For athletes, watts are the key to their sports. The more power you can generate, the faster you can accelerate in a play, the more weight you can push for an offensive lineman in football, or the higher you can jump in basketball. Training your cardiovascular energy system to create this power is very important in achieving your results throughout the game.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

What's the best way to measure my fitness progress?
It's easy to step onto the bathroom scale every day. However, the number it displays doesn't provide...
How can I assess my activity level?
If you don’t raise your heart rate  or breathing for a combined 30 minutes, five to seven days per w...
How do I determine my fitness level?
There are three exercise factors that reveal a lot about a person's risk of death and disability -- ...
What tests are used to assess lower body agility and control?
The Shark Skill test measures agility and neuromuscular control in the lower extremities. Start by m...