What are watts and how do they determine my exercise intensity?

Watts measures the rate of energy conversion. It is defined as one joule per second. In the case of cardiovascular exercise, it is the power that you are producing when training. The more power you are producing, the harder you are working. The best way to explain this power is in calories. When you are producing power, you are burning more calories. This is a very important way to design your program and progressions if you are trying to lose weight. Much like resistance training, you need to slowly overload the muscles and have a recovery period before overloading again. Over time, you will produce more power. For athletes, watts are the key to their sports. The more power you can generate, the faster you can accelerate in a play, the more weight you can push for an offensive lineman in football, or the higher you can jump in basketball. Training your cardiovascular energy system to create this power is very important in achieving your results throughout the game.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How does talking help determine the intensity of exercise?
Joan PaganoJoan Pagano
The "talk test" is a timeless and easy way to guage the intensity of cardio exercise, based on your ...
How can I track my progress with my exercise program?
These days, there are numerous ways to count steps (or mileage or calories), and that’s through high...
Is BMI a good way to track muscle mass?
Wendy Batts Wendy Batts
The BMI formula uses height and weight in its calculation, but it can’t tell whether the weight come...
What is an ideal waist-to-hip ratio?
Waist-to-hip ratio measures the waist at the narrowest point between the ribs and the iliac crest. T...