What is oxygen uptake?

Eric Olsen
Fitness
The ability to use oxygen is commonly referred to as "oxygen uptake," or sometimes as "oxygen transport" or "aerobic power." Most often, oxygen uptake is measured as "maximal oxygen uptake" (VO2max), the maximum amount of oxygen an individual's body can use during exertion. Measures of VO2max provide a good indication of how well the heart, lungs, blood vessels, and muscles are working together and how healthy they are. It's generally recognized that VO2max declines by about one percent per year from a peak at about age 20 or slightly younger to half that at age 80.
Lifefit: An Effective Exercise Program for Optimal Health and a Longer Life

An easy-to-follow programme for lengthening and improving lives. More than an exercise guide, this text is an effective tool for making meaningful lifestyle decisions to benefit long-term fitness. In...

Oxygen uptake is the transportation and utilization of oxygen in a person during exercise. A common physiological measurement taken is VO2 Max, which measures the maximum capacity at which the individual’s body can transport and utilize oxygen. This measurement indicates one’s personal fitness level. The higher the VO2 Max the better you can transport and use oxygen, which gives you more energy during exercise.  

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Oxygen uptake is VO2. It’s the oxygen consumption or uptake per kilogram of body weight. It's the most relevant measure of the cardiorespiratory system. It's the highest rate at which oxygen can be consumed is called VO2Max, distributed and used by the body during exercise. It is determined relative to body weight as millimeters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight.

Continue Learning about Evaluating & Measuring Fitness

How can I make best use of EPOC (Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption)?
Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption is the period of time after exercise where your body is stil...
What is VO2 max?
VO2 max is also called maximal oxygen consumption. It is a measure of the maximum intensity at w...
Should I jump into local races even if I am not in race shape yet?
Absolutely! Since there’s so much more to being a successful cyclist than merely having great fi...
How can I measure the intensity of my exercise?
William B. Salt II., MDWilliam B. Salt II., MD
Either purchase a fitness monitor or learn how to take your own pulse rate and exercise at least s...