question

Are clove cigarettes healthier than regular cigarettes?

International Bipolar Foundation
International Bipolar Foundation
answer
Clove cigarettes are not healthier than regular cigarettes.  Users often have the mistaken notion that smoking clove cigarettes is safer than smoking regular cigarettes. But this is a tobacco product with the same health risks as cigarettes. In fact, clove cigarettes have been shown to deliver more nicotine, carbon monoxide, and tar than regular cigarettes.

Clove cigarettes, also called kreteks (kree-teks), originated in Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries. They contain 60 to 70 percent tobacco and 30 to 40 percent ground cloves, clove oil, and other additives. The chemicals in cloves have been linked to asthma and other lung diseases.
SecondsCount.org
SecondsCount.org
answer
Clove cigarettes contain a mixture of tobacco, cloves, and other flavors, which many people mistakenly believe are healthier than regular cigarettes. But in fact, they contain as much tobacco as a regular cigarette.
Clove cigarettes (and other flavored cigarettes except for menthol) were banned in the United States by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, H.R. 1256, in 2009. This legislation also prohibits the use of marketing strategies that misrepresent cigarette products as lower-risk alternatives, including the words “light” or “ultra-light.”

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

4 Shocking Ways Smoking Affects Your Body
Smoking kills about 480,000 people every year and is a contributor to three of the five leading causes of death in the United States: heart disease, c...
Walking Helped Me Quit Smoking and Lose Weight
I started walking . . . simply to take my mind off of smoking and distract myself from the cravings. I weighed 200 pounds and was also worried that qu...
What Will (and Won't) Help You Quit Smoking for Good
What Will (and Won't) Help You Quit Smoking for GoodWhat Will (and Won't) Help You Quit Smoking for GoodWhat Will (and Won't) Help You Quit Smoking for GoodWhat Will (and Won't) Help You Quit Smoking for Good
Finding the right quit aid for you doesn’t have to be complicated. Everyone knows it’s a challenge to quit smoking. Nicotine, one of the main chemica...
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit How Tracking Can Help You Quit Smoking—and 5 More Tips to Quit
Download Sharecare to kick your tobacco habit for good. Tobacco use is the single largest preventable cause of disease and premature death in the US,...