Can I smoke and not become addicted to nicotine?

Absolutely, but it is rare.
Joseph I. Miller Jr., MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Very few individuals avoid the addiction that cigarettes create. 
Robert S. Kaufmann, MD
It is possible but nicotine is a very addicting drug.  I surely wouldn't take that chance.  I would not start.  The folks that smoke occasionally in a bar or something of that nature may have a less chance of being addicted but if you do it on a regular basis you will become addicted.
Irwin Isaacs
Probably not, because nicotine is an extremely addicting substance.
This usually depends on several factors, such as the number of cigarettes you smoke, the frequency with which you smoke, and the duration that you have been smoking.
Some people can smoke without becoming addicted to nicotine, but it's rare. Your reaction depends on your personal response to nicotine. As with alcohol and other drugs that tend to be abused, some people are more vulnerable to addictions and dependencies than others. But the harmful chemicals in cigarettes don't care if you're addicted. They'll harm you and the people around you no matter what.
Nicotine addiction begins to occur with your first drag of a cigarette. Nicotine is extremely addictive and with continued use addictive symptoms will increase, making cessation difficult. Nicotine from cigarettes reaches your brain in under ten seconds and starts to cause its addictive effects.

Continue Learning about Quit Smoking

Want Another Reason Not to Smoke? Think About Your Grandchildren
“Where there’s smoke there’s fire” is a phrase that’s been around for a long time; it means that if it looks like there’s something wrong, then there ...
Can secondhand smoke increase my risk for heart disease?
Exposure to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and can caus...
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Kicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of ProgressKicking Butts: 50 Years of Progress
Take a look at 10 anti-smoking milestones since the first Surgeon General’s report.
Watch Your Weight When You Quit Smoking
Watch Your Weight When You Quit Smoking