Why would the inside of my mouth have areas of grey and black?

Grey or black areas in your mouth could be caused by many things, such as precancerous or benign (non-cancerous) spots, a normal blood vessel, or something called an amalgam tattoo. An amalgam tattoo can appear when a tiny metal particle from a metal filling or dental crown becomes embedded in oral tissue in your mouth. Amalgam tattoos can occur anywhere in your mouth, including the inside of your cheeks, gums, lips, tongue or on the roof of your mouth. An x-ray may be able to confirm a metal particle in your mouth tissue. Your dentist will be able to measure the particle and watch it over time for any changes or issues that may develop.

You may discover a grey or black spot in your mouth, or your dentist or dental hygienist may see it during a routine cleaning or oral cancer check. Caring for your teeth and gums on a daily basis will help you notice any changes in your mouth, including grey or black areas. If you notice any new spots or colored areas in your mouth, be sure to discuss them with your dentist or doctor to determine whether you need further evaluation by a specialist.

Continue Learning about Oral Health

4 Ways to Cope With Dental Fears
4 Ways to Cope With Dental Fears
If you dread going to the dentist, you’re not alone. More than half of all people in the United States don’t see a dentist for regular dental care, an...
The Easiest Way to a Healthy Mouth? A Simple 1-2-3
Remember what the YOU Docs say: Brush and floss only the teeth you want to keep. And you definitely want to keep all of your choppers. Not just for th...
Natural Remedies for a Healthy Mouth
Natural Remedies for a Healthy Mouth
Sure, the drug store offers a dizzying array of toothpastes, teeth whitening agents and mouthwashes that will keep your teeth and gums beautiful and h...
What could be causing my lips and tongue to feel numb and tingle?
What could be causing my lips and tongue to feel numb and tingle? A numb feeling and tingling in the...