Why is strength training important for weight loss?

Strength training helps you lose weight in two ways. First weight training, especially intense weight training burns large amounts of calories both during and after the workout. Secondly, strength training helps you build and maintain the muscle you have, which helps keep your metabolism from slowing down. 
Jonathan Penney
Fitness Specialist

All too often individuals get caught up in the thought that in order to lose weight, I must do cardiovascular activity all the time.  But strength training will truly add to your chances of weight loss.  The answer is simple, strength training will help increase your lean muscle mass, with increase lean muscle mass you will have an increased metabolism, with a higher metabolism, the easier it will be to burn calories and lose weight.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

What are the benefits of strength training?
Crystal Reeves, NASM Elite TrainerCrystal Reeves, NASM Elite Trainer
Strength (resistance) training has many benefits including: decreased body fat increased lean ...
How should I do military presses?
F. Michael Gloth, IIIF. Michael Gloth, III
Military presses are commonly done by men, but many women can benefit from doing it, too, but using ...
Is strength training helpful for back pain?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Strengthening or resistance exercises keep your muscles flexible, strong, and less susceptible to in...
How soon will I start to notice strength increases?
Although you may not see changes in muscles size for roughly 4 to 6 weeks of training, strength gain...