Why is strength training important for weight loss?

Strength training helps you lose weight in two ways. First weight training, especially intense weight training burns large amounts of calories both during and after the workout. Secondly, strength training helps you build and maintain the muscle you have, which helps keep your metabolism from slowing down. 
Jonathan Penney
Fitness Specialist

All too often individuals get caught up in the thought that in order to lose weight, I must do cardiovascular activity all the time.  But strength training will truly add to your chances of weight loss.  The answer is simple, strength training will help increase your lean muscle mass, with increase lean muscle mass you will have an increased metabolism, with a higher metabolism, the easier it will be to burn calories and lose weight.

Continue Learning about Strength Training & Exercise

Strength Training Tips for Beginners
Strength Training Tips for Beginners
Sometimes it's hard to know how much weight is enough when you're a beginner trying to start a strength-training program.  Rule of thumb: Don't start...
What should I do if I can't complete the reps in my weight-lifting workout?
What should I do if I can't complete the reps in my weight-lifting workout? If you miss your target ...
What are FITT guidelines for strength training?
What are FITT guidelines for strength training? Learn more from our experts about FITT guidelines fo...
My hands get tired and sore after I lift weights, what can I do?
My hands get tired and sore after I lift weights, what can I do? Alleviate tired and sore hands afte...