Strength Training & Exercise
<p><a href="/health/strength-training/what-strength-training">Strength training,</a> also called weight training, boosts your metabolism by adding lean muscle, helping you <a href="/health/exercise-weight-loss/can-weight-training-weight-loss">lose weight</a> and keep it off. It can also <a href="/health/type-2-diabetes/article/preventing-prediabetes-with-strength-training">prevent diabetes,</a> fight aging, keep your bones strong, protect your memory, lower cholesterol and ease many types of chronic pain, including <a href="/health/strength-training/strength-training-for-back-pain">back pain</a>.</p>
Over 40?Try this anti-aging strategy
What's your RealAge?Take the RealAge Test to find out your body's true age.
Strength Training & Exercise Q&As
Is strength training okay for kids?
<p>Strength training should be an important, fun part of any child's physical routine. Strength training, not weightlifting, should be practiced regularly under adult supervision, for any child who participates in organized sports. The emphasis for children should be to learn proper technique and to build endurance through resistance training. Resistance should be minimal to start and slowly build as the child grows and masters the proper technique. Sit-ups and push-ups are great examples of strength, or resistance, training for children.</p>
- QShould I practice strength training during pregnancy?
- QWhat is the proper way to breathe during strength training?
- QShould I talk to my doctor about starting a strength training program?
- QWhat should I eat if I am regularly strength training?
- QShould women be concerned about bulkiness from strength training?
- QWhat are decline weighted situps?
- QWhat are the benefits of performing each rep slowly when weight lifting?
- QHow will skipping a weight-training session affect my progress?
- QWhat are walking lunges?
- QCan a person use interval-training techniques when strength training?
- QAre dumbbells or machines better for strength training?
- QCan strength training help reduce stress?
- QWhat are the different types of strength training?
- QHow can a belt help me when I'm lifting weights?
- QHow should I do a bench press?
- QWhich weight lifting exercises require a spotter?
- QWhat are safety tips for weight lifting?
- QHow can I strengthen my hands?
- QHow can I strengthen my calf muscles?
- QHow can I firm up my upper back?
- QWhat resistance-training exercises can help me quit smoking?
- QWhat are some examples of resistance training exercises?
- QWhy should I do shoulder-strengthening exercises?
- QHow should I do military presses?