Is Alzheimer's disease a form of amnesia?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Although a symptom of Alzheimer's disease is memory loss, it is not a form of amnesia. A person with amnesia may experience loss of recent memory, but it develops suddenly and usually does not worsen with time. Alzheimer's disease has a more comprehensive affect on overall brain capabilities than amnesia. A person suffering from amnesia can maintain daily function and often remembers people, places, and many events. Alzheimer's aggressively attacks of brain tissue, making common tasks more difficult and familiar people strangers.

Continue Learning about Alzheimer's Disease

How can I find a clinical study for Alzheimer's disease?
Dr. Eric PfeifferDr. Eric Pfeiffer
Clinical studies on Alzheimer's disease are being conducted in multiple research centers across the ...
Do I need to see a specialist for my Alzheimer’s disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
It's important to find a physician experienced in Alzheimer's diagnosis. If a physician diagnose...
Are There Any Diets to Reduce the Risk of Alzheimer's Disease?
What Is the Memory and Aging Center?
What Is the Memory and Aging Center?