How does chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) affect the lungs?

Lung damage in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) happens in two ways. First, in chronic bronchitis the goblet cells are overactive and make too much mucus, which blocks the airways. The second way the lungs are damaged is called emphysema. Here, there are too many immune system cells in the lungs. The cells, in response to the inflammation caused by inhaling cigarette smoke, release chemicals that damage the lungs. This means that the structure of the alveoli (tiny air sacs in the lungs) gets damaged and the airways become inflamed and thickened.

Continue Learning about COPD

More Options for Managing COPD
More Options for Managing COPD
When you have COPD, the twin goals of avoiding flare-ups and improving your overall lung function should set the tone for each day, whether your COPD ...
What is my life expectancy if I have severe COPD?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
There is no time limit on how long a person can live, even with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary...
What other diseases are associated with COPD?
Harish H. Murthy, MDHarish H. Murthy, MD
Many other conditions are intertwined with COPD, says pulmonologist Harish Murthy, MD, of Good Samar...
Ask the Experts: COPD Symptoms
Ask the Experts: COPD Symptoms