What is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the chronic blockage of airways in the lungs. This blockage causes air to be trapped in the lungs even after a person exhales, resulting in shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. COPD includes two related diseases, emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Individuals with COPD usually have a combination of both. In the United States alone, over 16 million people suffer from COPD, and it is the fourth most common cause of death.  Smoking is the most common cause of COPD

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is the term for a group of persistent lung diseases where the airways become blocked, which makes it hard to breathe. Chronic means persistent, and pulmonary relates to the lungs.

Continue Learning about COPD

How Exercise Can Improve COPD
How Exercise Can Improve COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD) is an umbrella term for progressive lung diseases such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis and refractory a...
What increases my risk for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)?
Long term cigarette smoking is the primary cause of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Th...
Who can I talk to about living with COPD if I am newly diagnosed?
COPD FoundationCOPD Foundation
After you have been diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), chances are there w...
Why does COPD never feel better?
MediGuardMediGuard
COPD, or Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, refers to two different diseases in the United State...