Why is orgasm hard to achieve early in a relationship?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed

A woman is less likely to have orgasms early in a relationship. Her body needs time to adapt to the new partner, to learn to trust him or her, and to relax into the knowledge that her partner accepts and appreciates her body. At the same time, good partners revel in bringing a

woman to orgasm. I like that in a partner, both personally and conceptually; I approve of people who enjoy women’s orgasms, on principle. Ideal partners recognize that a woman’s orgasms might be thin on the ground early on, and happily recognize that her intense pleasure, even in the absence of orgasm, isn’t a sign of failure but an encouraging sign that things are moving in the right direction. Then when the orgasm does happen, it’s a delicious and joyful indication that she’s moved to a new place in her connection with her partner. Hooray!

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Achieving Orgasm

Do orgasms affect men differently than women?
Madeleine M. Castellanos, MDMadeleine M. Castellanos, MD
All men have a point of what we call "ejaculatory inevitability" during sex when they can't hold bac...
How can I reach orgasm if my partner has premature ejaculation?
There's a whole world of sexual activities that have nothing to do with when a guy ejaculates -- or ...
How long does it typically take to achieve orgasm?
The average man achieves orgasm in three to five minutes; it can take a woman four times as long. Th...
How can I have an orgasm during sex?
Debby HerbenickDebby Herbenick
First, focus on the pleasure of sex, not orgasm as a goal, which adds anxiety. That said, try to...